How to get enrolled in graduate astronomy?

I’m currently an undergraduate materials engineering student and I’m very interested in pursuing graduate studies in astrophysics. Is it possible, or am I required to have an undergraduate degree in physics or astronomy? Most of my courses are physics related, and I took linear algebra, differential equations, and vector calculus. However, I didn’t take quantum mechanics (strangely) or relativity. I appreciate all answers, and please if you can give as much details as possible.

Related Items

2 Responses to “How to get enrolled in graduate astronomy?”

  1. TJ said:

    The Graduate Program includes courses which will introduce you to the basic ideas of modern astronomy and astrophysics, as well as more advanced material including this:

    AST 380E -Radioactive Processes and Radiative Transfer
    AST 381 -Theoretical Astrophysics
    AST 381C-Gravitational Dynamics
    AST 382C-Astrophysical Gas Dynamics
    AST 383 -Stellar Astronomy
    AST 383C -Stellar Atmospheres
    AST 383D -Stellar Structure and Evolution
    AST 384T -Current Studies in Astronomy for Teachers
    AST 185C -Conference on Modern Astronomy
    AST 386 -Extragalactic Astronomy
    AST 386C -Properties of Galaxies
    AST 389 -Dynamical Astronomy
    AST 392D -Mathematical Techniques in Astronomy
    AST 392E -Optical Techniques in Astronomy
    AST 392G -Observing Techniques in Astronomy
    AST 392J -Astronomical Instrumentation
    AST 393F -Survey of the Interstellar Medium
    AST 396C -Elements of Cosmology
    AST 398T -Supervised Teaching in Astronomy

    Interesting field of study you will love it.Hope this helps you! Good luck!

  2. Nyx said:

    It would depend on the university that has the programs you are interested in. I would imagine that most of your course credits would be transferable, but you would need to talk with the department head or admissions for that college.


[newtagclound int=0]


Recent Comments

Recent Posts